04 December, 2013

Aurifil mini quilt challenge

I am part of a mini quilt challenge organized by Aurifil and Sew, Mama, Sew!.  The challenge ? To sew a mini quilt using threads from Camille Roskelley collection (the thread is available at your local quilt shop and in Camille's shop too)

Here is a list of all the challengers, I can't wait to see their mini quilts. They will post the quilts between  December 4 and 10.
Jennifer Waaraniemi of lea & lars
Amy Gunson of Badskirt
Vanessa Lynch of Punkin Patterns
Kelie Copas of Craft Nurse Quilt
Kristin Schwarze of And Chips
Lindsey Rhodes of LRstitched
Penny Layman of Sew Take a Hike

Most of the time I quilt with neutral thread so I was excited to quilt in colors!
Here is the beautiful thread I used. Plus white.

And here are the 2 quilts I made -  I couldn't stop at  one!


At first it was this one - it's about color! And thread too!


Quilt size : 20'' x 20''
It's raw edge applique. I don't like to make appliques but this technique is fast and easy.

I am in the "feather" mood! This year I quilted only feathers!


Learn how to make this quilt - here is the tutorial. And if you love this type of design, come back soon for more! I can't stop making new designs!

http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.ro/2013/12/tutorial-raw-edge-applique-swirl-design.html


And here is the second quilt. It's about thread!  And color too!
I used the pattern of this English paper pieced quilt and I made a wholecloth quilt.
See here details about how I made this quilt.

I wanted to quilt this quilt with colored thread but at the time I did not have the proper thread.

There was a deadline and I thought that changing the thread after each quilted flower will not help at all. So I gave up to the idea but I kept it in my mind. And when the opportunity arrived -  I was there!

There is no need to say how much I loved to quilt this! My sewing machine loves this thread and I love it too.



The thread is 50wt -  it's thin and not the best choice for this wholecloth quilt.   But because I quilt mostly with neutral thread, I had to try it!

The best choice would have been the 12wt thread. Have you tried it ?  For free motion quilting ?
I would like to learn about your experience before starting an  80'' flower sphere quilt. Please share your experience with this thick thread  (used in the needle) and free motion quilting.



And this is the back.

Thank you  Aurifil and Sew, Mama, Sew!  for this challenge!

Let's keep in touch!
Geta

Subscribe to my newsletter
Monthly Free Quilt Design
Access to the archive of past designs



Follow on Bloglovin

I am linking to Finish it up Friday!

38 comments:

Liane Weber said...

I was going to ask what thread you used when I saw your tutorial, but that answers that! Amazing work!

Vera said...

Absolutely stunning. Both of them! Love the wholecloth. Amazing!

Silvia said...

I was speechless to see the wholecloth quilt! I have no experience in sewing with Aurifil, but I'll stay closer to find out more. Good luck!

Jacqueline said...

Your quilting skill is simply amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

~Kelie~ said...

Wow!!! These quilts are amazing!!! I especially live the raw edge one. Now I'm starting to think what I did ain't going to cut it!! I've got a few days left, maybe I can come up with something! Lol! I really love both quilts!!!! Stunning!!!

Julie said...

Both are so stunning, a big WOW!!!

QUILTONLINE said...

Un model foarte interesant.
Culorile si tehnica de lucru
sunt deosebite.
O bucurie pentru ochii mei.

Camille said...

They are both so beautiful!

Linda said...

Hi,such beautiful projects!
Thanks for sharing!

msstitcher1948@yahoo.com

SewLindaAnn said...

Love your work on both of those. Your applique is so beautiful it looks like it's pieced! Such inspiration and skill you have!

legato1958 said...

What gorgeous mini quilts you have created! Your quilting skills are astounding!! I especially love the spinning ribbons that match the thread colors!

Susie

Wendy said...

Both of these quilts are just gorgeous!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Your thread work is amazing--love both quilts!

Little Island Quilting said...

Gorgeous quilting!

Karen said...

Both jobs are beautiful Geta.... And I agree Aurifil is one of my favorite threads. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

audrey said...

This is incredible! Wow! Both quilts are superb. Lovely work!

Jo said...

I love both your quilts. they are absolutely stunning. Thank you so much for the tutorial x x

Sara said...

Wow both are amazing! You are an inspiration!

Yvonne Campbell said...

These are both just outstanding. If I could feather like that, I would do it all year too. I like the idea of starting small. Beautiful!

Sarah @ mila+cuatro said...

Your quilting is phenomenal.

Michele said...

Just jaw dropping gorgeous!

SarahZ said...

You are amazing!! These are both just so gorgeous!!!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Both pieces are absolutely gorgeous - you are a talented lady! Well done!

Lynn said...

Your quilts are gorgeous as usual. I am so behind in my blog post reading (and my own posting.) Will be going back to read previous posts that I missed.

Lynn said...

Your quilts are gorgeous as usual. I am so behind in my blog post reading (and my own posting.) Will be going back to read previous posts that I missed.

Melissa at My Fabric Relish said...

Ok, these are absolutely stunning! I am in awe! I love them both but the appliqué swirl one is amazing!

wannabequilter.com said...

Gorgeous!

liniecat said...

Both of these are remarkable but I just adore the second flower design with single colour threads used in that innovative way!
Its japanese-y lol
Do you 'see' these patterns in your mind or do you use a computer programme to design and come up with ideas using that medium first?
If they pop up in your mind, could I drop in for a wander round your brain please? lol
Although whichever way you achieve your designs they are simply stunning and your stitching looks wonderful.
: ) Lyn

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Geta both are amazing beautiful and stunning! Very talented!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

You are so very talented. I love both of your challenge quilts!

MissEnota aka Kristin S. said...

Inspiring work!! I LOVE your appliqué pattern and it is so cool of you to share.

Karen said...

Wow, that is beautiful!

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

These are both just stunning quilts! I absolutely adore the wholecloth mini quilt - so very beautiful!

Adri H. said...

Super sweet quilts! I tend to play with 50 and 30 wt. I'm gonna see if I can get my hands on some of the 12 wt. you mention so I can experiment - it's thicker, no? If you do end up using it, what needle would you use with it?

Sallie said...

Stunning! Thanks for the pattern and tutorial!

Catrin Lewis said...

I love the appliqué quilt but the whole cloth one has blown me away!

It's just stunning. I have no experience of machine quilting with 12wt thread but what I love about this quilt is the subtlety of the quilting and maybe you'd loose this with a thicker thread?

Rachael Dorr said...

These are so beautiful. I LOVE the one on white with the colored thread. I'm so glad to have found your blog.

nargis said...

I am so glad to have found your blog .Your work is amazing. I absolutely adore your talent thanks for pattern and tutorial.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips